This fort stood on the east bank of Patterson’s
Creek on the site of the present village of Ft. Ashby (formerly Alaska),
in Mineral County. Erected by
Lieutenant John Bacon under orders from Colonel Washington, in 1755.
December 27, 1775, Captain Charles Lewis of Fredericksburg assumed command
at this fort in which he found a garrison of twenty-one men to whom
Lieutenant Bacon, whom he had appointed adjutant, read the Articles of
War. On the 11th of October, Colonel Washington received letters
from Captain John Ashby regarding conditions there. The next spring
- May 23, 1756 - Colonel Washington issued orders to Lieutenant Colonel
Adam Stephen to have Fort Ashby fully supplied from Fort Cumberland, Maryland,
distant twenty-five miles. In August, that year, Lieutenant Robert
Rutherford, with a company of Rangers was defeated here by the French Indians.
Soon after Captain John Ashby
made a remarkable escape from the Indians, reaching the fort in safety.
Fort Ashby is open only by appointment.