Homes of General Daniel Morgan
"Soldier's Rest" lying just northeast of Berryville was the first farm home bought by Daniel Morgan and Abigail Curry. They purchased it in 1769. After his harrowing experiences in the Quebec campaign Morgan named the home, "Soldier's Rest." Morgan and his wife lived here until he completed "Saratoga." Here he gave up wagoneering to become a farmer, but he still retained the nickname, "The Old Wagoneer."
"Saragoga," the only home build by Morgan for himself and Abigail, was named after the famous battle of the Revolutionary War were Morgan and his Virginia Riflemen played a critical role in the defeat of Gen. Bourgoyne's army. The home is constructed of native limestone quarried from nearby Opequon Creek.
This home in Winchester on Amherst Street is where General Morgan spent the last two years of his life. Morgan had moved here because of his failing health; he wished to be close to his doctor and to his friend and minister, Rev. William Hill. During his time here, he was accompanied by his daughter, Betsy Heard, and her family. General Daniel Morgan died here on July 6, 1802.