The Conocheague Institute owns the Davis-Chambers house built around a c.1752 two story log house. The property on Welsh Run also contains a c.1756 smoke house and several later buildings. Not far down the road is the archaeological site of Ft. Davis, a settler's fort of the Pennsylvania French and Indian War frontier.
The Institute maintains a research library of over 3,000 volumns dealing mainly with the colonial Pennsylvania frontier and the French and Indian War. Researchers must make arrangements to use the library.
The Institute has school programs that interpret everyday life on the frontier. Their displays inlcude tools and crafts of frontier farm life.
The grounds of the Institute have several
facilities for historic interpretation
and (below) a library for
research on local history and genealogy.
The web site for the Conococheague Institute listing hours and contact information is:
The Conococheague Institute
12995 Bain Road
Mercersburg, PA 17236