Jonathan Hager House and Museum
Located in beautiful Hagerstown City Park, the Jonathan Hager House is the original home of Jonathan Hager, the founder of Hagerstown. Built in 1739, the Hager House was uniquely erected over two springs, on a 200 acre tract called "Hagar's Fancy." In 1740 Jonathan presented the newly constructed house to his bride Elizabeth Kershner. Hager was an active participant of the community as a farmer and gunsmith. During the French and Indian War he served as a Captain of Scouts. He died in a construction accident in 1775 during a time when he served on various pre-Revolutionary War committees. He is considered not only the founder of Hagerstown, but also as the founder of Washington County.
Today the house is compeltely restored and equipped with period furnishings. Visitors will note that the house is constructed of 22" stone walls and has its own protected spring-fed water supply. Fifteen years before the French and Indian War it had been built to be a fortified home on the western Maryland frontier. An adjacent Museum contains artifacts found on the site during restoration of the stone porch in 1953. The collection contains 18th and 19th century coins, bone forks and combs, pottery of rare design, glass, ironwork and other interesting objects.
Map of Hagerstown, Maryland
Hours: Tues-Sat: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.; Sun.: 2 to 5 p.m. Closed January through March and November 21-November 27 to prepare for Christmas.
Admission: adults, $3.00, senior citizens, $2.00 and children 6-12, $1.00.
Directions: From Interstate 70 take Rt. 65 North (at the outlet mall) to the light at Memorial Ave. The large city cemetery will be on your right. Turn left on Memorial Ave. and follow it to City Park. Enter the park at the traffic circle and Hager House will be on your right.
All events are subject to cancellation. Please call ahead to confirm. (301) 739-8393. Email: email@example.com
For further information and more events go to:
© 2001 Col. Washington's Frontier Forts Association
updated: May 5, 2007